My mom first got this recipe from my grandmama and made it all the time. The name always confused me, but that didn’t stop me from eating several pieces. And apparently, I am not the only one who thinks they taste pretty amazing.
These yummy bars are gooey on the inside, crispy on the edges, and super chocolatey.
More recently I have been the one who makes these bars. Because they are pretty simple to make, I love making them for other people.
By “popular request” 😉
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 2/3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 bag of chocolate chips (I use semi-sweet)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Measure out the brown sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- You have to options with the butter. -Soften the butter and then cream it with the sugar.-Or you can heat the butter in the microwave until it is just melted and then mix it well with the sugar. I usually do this- it makes the goblin bread very gooey in the middle.
- Add in the 3 eggs. Mix until combined.
- Add the flour and chopped pecans and mix until a thick paste like dough forms. -I chop my pecans very fine so you get their flavor without the texture.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread into a 9×13 baking dish.- I usually wet my hands and pat it until it’s even and flat.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.-The edges should be nice and crispy and the middle a little soft. How long you bake depends on how soft you want the middle. 35 usually works